Java has quickly become one of the most important languages in programming, particularly for professional and enterprise-level projects. From its infancy as a language primarily used for web applets to its maturity through servlets, Enterprise JavaBeans, and database access, Java has become a complex and robust tool for today's developer.
Hardcore Java takes this language and breaks it apart, piece by piece, revealing the important secrets and tricks that will take you from a junior-level programmer to a seasoned and expert developer. You'll fly through the fundamentals and quickly find yourself learning about advanced memory management techniques, optimization and bytecode-level enhancements, and the techniques required to build lightning-fast GUIs. Throughout the book, you'll also master the art of writing and maintaining bulletproof and error-proof code, all while grasping the intricacies of the Java language.
Hardcore Java covers:
- Use of the final keyword to optimize and protect your Java classes.
- Complete and thorough coverage of all types of nested classes, including how to optimize anonymous and inner classes.
- Detailed discussion of immutable objects, including unique tips on when to use them (and when not to).
- Elimination of bugs through exception-handling management.
- In-depth studies of constants, including their impact on the Java memory model.
- The most thorough discussion of reflection in print, moving far beyond other books' "Hello World" coverage.
- Construction and use of dynamic proxies, in both Java Standard and Enterprise editions.
- Expansive coverage of weak references, including usage patterns and their role in garbage collection and memory management.