Updated for the latest database management systems -- including MySQL 6.0, Oracle 11g, and Microsoft's SQL Server 2008 -- this introductory guide will get you up and running with SQL quickly. Whether you need to write database applications, perform administrative tasks, or generate reports, Learning SQL , Second Edition, will help you easily master all the SQL fundamentals.
Each chapter presents a self-contained lesson on a key SQL concept or technique, with numerous illustrations and annotated examples. Exercises at the end of each chapter let you practice the skills you learn. With this book, you will:
- Move quickly through SQL basics and learn several advanced features
- Use SQL data statements to generate, manipulate, and retrieve data
- Create database objects, such as tables, indexes, and constraints, using SQL schema statements
- Learn how data sets interact with queries, and understand the importance of subqueries
- Convert and manipulate data with SQL's built-in functions, and use conditional logic in data statements
Knowledge of SQL is a must for interacting with data. With Learning SQL , you'll quickly learn how to put the power and flexibility of this language to work.